Monday, April 28, 2008

A little south of the border....

For some reason today it seemed like a good idea to make Cilantro Lime Pate de Fruit. I have a stock pile of ideas that I would love to try when I am at work and I think actually what I was going to do was lime and cumin, but when I talked to my boss about it...cilantro came out. Either way, in my opinion, as long as it is not the usual one flavor stuff that the current girl on this station usually does. Which really comes down to a lot of mango and strawberry, because that is the easiest and doesn't require actually thawing out frozen fruit or making your own puree.

The end result is quite piquant. The flavor of cilantro hits your tongue first, followed by the sour of lime, followed by more cilantro. All in all I think it kind of reminds me of ceviche or something else I can't quite put my finger on. It is interesting, because it is so incredibly powerful, the two flavors are together yet separate. I highly recommend trying it at least once. I think I will put this in my back pocket for later, perhaps for use in chocolate candies with something else, or even as a complement to an appetizer.

Cilantro Lime Pate de Fruit
Key Lime Juice 1K
Cilantro 57g
Sugar 1450g
Pectin 26g
Glucose 150g
Citric Acid 8g

Take 400g of puree and the cilantro and put in a robocoup or blender and blend until cilantro starts to break up. Strain and add this plus the remaining liquid into a large heavy bottom pot. Combine 1/2 of the sugar with the pectin, mix well (if this is not mixed well the pectin will form balls that do not dissolve when it hits the liquid).

Put the puree on medium heat and with a thermometer (I use digital) cook until it registers 40C. Slowly whisk in the sugar and pectin. Bring the puree to a boil and add the glucose and the remaining amount of sugar. Continue cooking while stirring continuously until the thermometer reaches 106C. Take this mixture off of the heat and add the citric acid.

At this point you can either pour this into a small metal disposable baking container, usually 9X9, or you can pipe this, using a sauce gun into flexipans. Let cool until set. Cut or unmold your pate de fruit and coat with white sugar.

*Sorry no photos today, I didn't get a chance to bring my camera to work.

No comments: