Monday, April 07, 2008

Pictures from Chocolate Competition

I have posted these other places: facebook, myspace, ect. I thought to include them here, because I am working on an upcoming showpiece for Mother's day and I am looking for inspiration. Since it is spring that usually means flowers, hearts, and all things girly. Shoes, lipstick, and hats seems to be other things that pop up. I am leaning toward flowers.


I think this was the first time that I have ever made a chocolate flower so intense. I used the airbrush at the shop and it has a tendancy to spray a little more coarse than I would prefer. I am looking for the base to mine in order to start practicing at home. I will also have to order some decent cocoa butter colors. Different brands seem to spray a little better than others. It was a good experience. I have learned that I need to wear about five layers of gloves to properly work with tempered chocolate because my hands seem to be too warm (or I sit with a bowl of ice water next to me).

We did rolled chocolate last year for the competition, which involves chopping couverture through the robocoupe and rolling it out with your hands and smoothed out with a piece of cardboard or something with a smooth clean surface. My job was simply to warm the chocolate up with my hands so that it created a cohesive ball. Someone else had to roll it out because it kept melting whenever I touched it.


Every year it is something new. I was thinking this time for Mother's day about doing a pastillage bird house with sugar flowers and ribbon. Practice, practice, practice.

No comments: