Thursday, April 03, 2008

Devil Dog Cake



I have been wanting to make a dark cake that is incredibly rich. I found the recipe for this cake on Epicurious. I have never heard of a devil dog cake but it sounded and looked intriguing.

The batter for this cake was extremely dense, so much so that I had to force it to the edges of the pan. It took awhile for the cake to bake, but it came out moist and absolutely amazing straight from the oven. I couldn't help but sneak a small smackerel.

The frosting is a simple swiss meringue and for the first time I didn't actually use my own power to form the meringue itself. I found an electic hand mixer in the back of one of my cupboards and after dusting it off will probably not go back to doing much without it ever again.

All in all, I think that the cake is best served while still warm and I would add a little fleur de sel in some fashion either as a salted caramel sauce or a salted caramel ice cream. The meringue was a little too sweet for my taste, but did compliment the cake's bitterness.

1 comment:

pastrycheif said...

ooooh yummy!!! sounds like i need to break out the recipe book!!