Friday, September 19, 2008

Another Good Reason I Should Look for New Employment

We have a new kid at work. When I say kid I mean, barely 18, so he's little to me. He's doesn't know a lot, he went to a skill center and is looking at going to culinary school in the fall. He makes stuff around the bakeshop that is easy. Apple filling, pastry cream, and cookies. The other day he messed up a batch of sugar cookies. Instead of using baking soda he used cream of tartar. The bottles look the same, not an excuse since he clearly should have read the label. Stinks for him, since he messed up a 100lb batch of cookies.

What is worse however is the fact that first shift has been serving said cookies for more than two weeks without noticing several small differences: they don't rise, they barely brown, they smell almost yeasty, and they have a COMPLETELY acrid taste that is incredibly offensive. I notice the first time I am working this station, how can you not, they didn't brown after 25 minutes in the rotorack!

Worse than this (yes it actually can get worse), guests never complained (great now they think we have shitty cookies), and my boss wants to save them (yes, save them) to feed to the employees. FREAKIN' GROSS. The smell is unreal and I know I have a sensitive sniffer, more than most, but the taste is vile. Everyone else thinks it tastes like lemon. LEMON? I know its an acid, but not tasty. Not even close. The search continues for future employment and I am avoiding employee cafeteria desserts from here on out. *sigh*

2 comments:

queenofsheba said...

oh god LEMON? um, no.

Leilani said...

oh, that's disgusting....um, wow.